Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's All in the Family

I was sorting my things for the move and came across this family photo. The back says, "Grandmother Davis (Maria Corser Davis) with her brothers and sisters in front of her old home n Vermont. Grandma is on the right. There were 12 in the family and these were left -- charles, Abigail, Dorothy, Maria, and ? "

The Corsers lived in northern Vermont -- E/NE of Burlington, I think. A friend and I were going to drive up from North Bennington, VT, to check out the town two summers ago, but a minor traffic accident got in the way. I guess it'll have to wait a while longer now that I'm headed overseas again.

I have four siblings, yet I'm the only one who is at all interested in our ancestors and their lives. I mentioned Okinawan ancestor worship in an earlier post -- the Okinawans believe that family is like a tree. It's important to nurture the roots (the ancestors) in order for the tree to grow and remain healthy.

I don't know that I feel the need to nurture the ancestors, but I do want to acknowledge them and learn more about them. The artifacts I possess are but a tiny window that gives more clues than details. Perhaps some day I'll have time to investigate further.

No comments: