Friday afternoon I took the train to Darmstadt, which is just south of Frankfurt, to see a friend, Mark, before he took off for leave and then deployment to Afghanistan. I took the train so that I could drive his car back to Hohenfels. He was supposed to store it in Mannheim but when he called to confirm taking it in, he was told they no longer had room for the car. Lovely. My post agreed to store it for now, but if the space is needed later, I'll have to take it out.
Mark said I was welcome to drive the car if I wanted (and I'd just sell mine). All I have to do is let him know so he can put me on his insurance policy, and I would pay for the insurance while he's gone. I considered doing this, but on the drive back to Hohenfels I decided against it. The car is a jeep, standard transmission, and gets 20 mpg. I don't mind standards at all, but this thing rides rather rough and really is meant to be used for rugged territory. Plus that, the mileage sucks. No thanks. I'm putting it in storage.
It's now Sunday afternoon, and I'm heading to Regensburg this afternoon to wander around the old town. I want to get to know the city better.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
good call on the Jeep
Hi. I'm reading and smiling as I ponder what you're doing. I'm probably not alone when I marvel at how exotic, almost otherworldly, your day-to-day activities seem. I mean one month you're in one place doing one thing and the next thing I know you're on the other side of the world living a different life. To us whose lives have been the same for years, your eclecticism and changeability seem like a dream. You would probably differ with the claim that your life is glamorous, but you can't deny that you're able to live a lifestyle most of us would find out of reach-- impossible. It kind of makes me wistful when I think about how life would be in your shoes. Keep the blog postings coming and I'll check in when I need to daydream a little. Marc.
marc - good to hear from you! mz life may seem like a dream, but believe me, there's something to be said for your stability and family life. the grass sometimes IS greener. . .
Post a Comment