Monday, August 13, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Friends have asked a variety of questions about my situation here.

I am still in a temporary apartment. It's a small, one-bedroom place. It would actually be okay except that it doesn't have a real kitchen. It has two burners, a tiny place for drying dishes, and a sink. There's an almost-normal size fridge, and an old microwave that also functions as an oven. No counter space on which to prepare food, chop veggies, etc. No place to store dishes. It's just not a good environment for me to try to eat healthy in.

I've started eating breakfast ($2) and lunch ($3.65) at the chow hall (military dining room, of which there are actually two on post). For breakfast, I can get an omelette made to order, hash browns, fresh fruit, juice, coffee (from a good coffee maker), sausage, bacon, cereal, toast, pancakes, French toast. What more could a girl want or need for $2? If I don't like the 3-4 entrees they make for lunch, I can always get very tasty rotisserie chicken, salad, veggies, etc. No real complaints here.

I'm about to start working out in the evenings. I can't face going to the gym, and since the weather is good for now (today, anyway), I'm just going to walk. There are some big hills on post, and I'm going to start with those. They're not any worse than what I covered in Bosnia last summer.

Prague was fun weekend before last. Much more expensive and Western now that it's not an East Bloc country any more. This past weekend I stayed home and chilled. Slept in, watched a lot of DVDs. It was nice to have a quiet weekend at home for a change.

That's all for now. Let me hear from you.

1 comment:

Mony said...

book recommendation:
Atonement by Ian McEwen, or anything else he's written