Saturday, June 21, 2008

the journey continues

I just spent four days and nights in New Mexico with family. I wish I could say it was wonderful and relaxing. Unfortunately, things felt their most dysfunctional. . . or maybe it's just normal chaos, given the circumstances.

My elderly aunt and her daughter, my cousin (mentally and physically handicapped) have been put in two different rest homes (they require two different levels of care, and it's actually better this way) and are mad at a variety of people for a variety of reasons. The aunt is also in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

The sister-in-law has been given a tentatively clean bill of health. Dad's fine and his wife is, too. I got to have a nice conversation with an old friend of my mother's at one of the rest homes, and she had some good perspective and insight on life that I appreciated.

Now I'm in Silver Spring staying with friends K&P. I got to hang out with jk the last two nights, and Brazilian friend Ana joined us last night. It's the weekend now, and K will take me shopping for some last-minute things I need and we'll go see "Sex in the City." Other than that, no plans but to lay low.

Monday I head into DC, and friend Terri will come hang out with me for the afternoon. Then my first official job function there is to go to a cocktail party with co-workers (people I'll be deploying with) Monday evening.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

Mony said...

so much for 'vacation'

it's uphill from New Mexico