
Nanci Griffith and her Blue Moon Orchestra were the final act on Mountain Stage last night. She sang songs from her new album, Ruby's Torch, along with several old favorites including "Late Night, Grande Hotel" (also on the new album) and "Listen to the Radio." (photo by Jim McGuire)
Nanci's voice remains strong. Some call it an acquired taste, but I've known it for so long now that I don't even notice. She continues with her slight flare for the dramatic, speaking from time to time with an exaggerated Texas twang and gesturing with her hands and arms when not playing the guitar. She is a sweet songwriter, and her music has spoken to me for years.
I used to follow Nanci's career closely. I've watched her perform live several times -- this was the second time I've seen her on Mountain Stage. I've even had the pleasure of watching her record background vocals for one of Buddy Mondlock's albums in Nashville in 1997.
Nanci's music has been one of my mile markers in this journey through life, at least throughout the '90s. "Late Night, Grande Hotel" and "Listen to the Radio" each marked significant endings and beginnings for me. As I listened to her perform these and other songs last night, I reminisced about times past and marveled that each performance on Mountain Stage has marked significant changes for me as well.
Nanci's voice remains strong. Some call it an acquired taste, but I've known it for so long now that I don't even notice. She continues with her slight flare for the dramatic, speaking from time to time with an exaggerated Texas twang and gesturing with her hands and arms when not playing the guitar. She is a sweet songwriter, and her music has spoken to me for years.
I used to follow Nanci's career closely. I've watched her perform live several times -- this was the second time I've seen her on Mountain Stage. I've even had the pleasure of watching her record background vocals for one of Buddy Mondlock's albums in Nashville in 1997.
Nanci's music has been one of my mile markers in this journey through life, at least throughout the '90s. "Late Night, Grande Hotel" and "Listen to the Radio" each marked significant endings and beginnings for me. As I listened to her perform these and other songs last night, I reminisced about times past and marveled that each performance on Mountain Stage has marked significant changes for me as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment