Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ocean views


I picked up the rest of my ceramic pieces at the museum last night, then had sushi and beer at the local sushi joint with a couple of classmates.

These are my two favorite pieces from the entire 10-week class. I've worried for the past week about whether they'd actually come out or not. I thought I'd made some mistakes with the glazes, and you've seen where that can get me. Actually, I was just concerned that the white glaze was going to bleed because it was so thick, and that this would cause problems in the kiln.

These two pieces don't have names yet, but they're part of my ocean series. I love the way the "watery blue" glaze pools at the bottom of a piece. It's such a thin glaze that we can only use it on the inside of pieces -- otherwise it would run onto the kiln.

The class was such a nice escape over the last semester. I'll miss it now that it's over.

No comments: